Choosing the most suitable printer for your office or home is not an easy task at all. Because there are a number of printers available in the market. Each printer has different features as well as different prices.
Moreover, when you will go to buy a printer, you will find that there are different types of printers, such as – ink tank printers, inkjet printers, laser printers, etc. And if you do not know the features of these printers, you may do the wrong choice.
In this article, we are going to discuss laser printers. We will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of laser printers which you may find helpful.
Detailed Advantages and Disadvantages of Laser Printers
What Is A Laser Printer?
Laser printers are printers that use toner for printing in place of ink. They use the same mechanism used by a photocopier. This mechanism is called Electrography in which images are created on paper with a beam of light.
These printers are absolutely perfect for long-run use. Laser printers require a very low cost for printing. These printers are capable of printing at a very high speed. This is why laser printers are considered economical printers. Years ago, only monochrome laser printers were available in the market. But now they color laser printers are also available.
Advantages Of A Laser Printer
- Laser printers are capable of printing bulk volume. These printers can print numerous pages. Moreover, the user will hardly face any paper jam or other hassles.
- We have already told you that laser printers use laser technology or Electrography. In this technology, the beam of light moves at a very high speed and swiftly prints on the paper. These printers can print minimum 20 pages within a minute. So if you want to print more paper in less time, you must use laser printers instead of dot matrix or inkjet printers.
- Laser printers are very reliable and durable for long – term use. Because these printers do not use ink cartridges for printing, rather they use powder – based toner that are free from the risk of drying out or evaporating. Moreover, the toners laser printers can deliver up to 60000 pages.
- The overall cost of a laser printer is very low if you compare it to that of an inkjet printer. Because laser printers use toners that can print a huge amount of pages.
- Laser printers can deliver each print with high sharpness and the best quality. You will get sharper and more precise text from a laser printer than you get from an inkjet printer. Because of using toners instead of ink, laser printers can deliver such reliable outputs that are free from smudges.
- Laser printers do not produce noise while printing. So the peace of your quiet workplace will not be disturbed by your printer.
Disadvantages of Laser Printers
There are some disadvantages of laser printers. Let us discuss them one by one:
- The implementation cost of a laser printer is very high. These printers are far more costly than an inkjet printer. This is why most of the people prefer inkjet or ink tank printers to buy for home or office.
- Laser printers are not compatible with all types of papers. These printers can print only on laser papers. You are not allowed to use low quality papers in a laser printer. Because if you use any heat sensitive media, your printer may get damaged.
- Laser printers, unlike inkjet and ink tank printers, are heavy and bulk in size. This is because these printers contain imaging drum and some other components required for printing. So it is quite difficult to replace or carry a laser printer from one place to another.
- Laser printers are not good for printing high quality graphics. These printers can only do simple colour prints. So if you want to print photographs or vibrant posters, laser printers will not be a good choice for you.
- Laser printers consume a large amount of power. In fact, when it is not working, it consumes power. But nowadays, some brands are manufacturing such laser printers that have a Power Saver mode to save power while printing.
- Laser printers use toners for printing which is quite harmful for our skin. It may also cause respiratory diseases.
Pros and Cons of Laser printers- At a Glance
- Excellent Performance.
- Great Printing Speed.
- Superb Quality Printing.
- Printing Cost is cheaper.
- Quite heavy and bulky.
- Consumes a little bit more power.
- Laser printers are costly.
Conclusion- Are Laser Printers Worth Buying?
After reading this article, some may think whether they should buy a laser printer or not. We will suggest you not think only about the disadvantages, though they are quite important to remember, look at the number of advantages also. If your criteria for buying a printer match the specifications of laser printers, then you can of course go for it.
Prabir Mandal is the editor-in-chief of Printer Guru. He is in love with productivity devices, especially printers. His love for printers has made him open this blog where he can share all his knowledge about printers and the experiences he has gathered while using them.